Growing Up In Gereaux Island Lighthouse in the Early 1900s

You may also like...

14 Responses

1. estelle says:

Terrific story Jessica! I loved seeing the pictures too! Those Georgian bay picnics were a major highlight for so many years! Just imagine the life Louis and Cecilia had in comparison to our lives today. Thanks for the memories!!

2. Janice Birnie says:

I am grateful Estelle told me about your article Jessica. I loved reading it! We come from good strong roots! I am proud to be a descendant of Lighthouse Keepers! “They are surely friends of God.” Thank you!

3. Pat Skene says:

Hey Jessica…what a great post! I loved the “chicken ass on toast” story – will have to remember that one. And what a shocker about aunt Bernice wanting to be a nun! Seriously? She obviously gave up that dream rather quickly and changed her mind about men! ☺️ But I digress…well done as usual. Keep them coming.

• Thanks! This one was fun to write and sent my imagination off on many tangents!! It’s amazing how the landscape hasn’t changed much over the past 100 years, but the options for women certainly have!

4. Ann Lamondin says:

I so enjoyed the pictures and stories Jessica……so well written.It took a very special couple to raise a family in such a confined space.
    I will share this with Uncle Bruce as he is not on facebook.
    Keep up the good work.
    Love you
    Aunt Ann
    Xoxo

5. Andi says:

What a wonderful read! ! Fabulous job on all of your research Jess. The photos with Grandpa were all new to me. 🙂
    I am off eggs for a bit though after those 2 stories.

6. Chantell says:

This is awesome!! I agree with with mom, chicken ass on toast is the bomb! Thank you for documenting this for all of us jess. xo

7. Mary says:

Jessica,
    Your family history at the lighthouse is unique. How fortunate that Bernice shared stories with you over the years. This is important Canadian history, a good indication of the importance of shipping, coal and lumber in Ontario’s development. Love the photos too.

• Thanks, Mary! Coal and lumber were so important to starting these communities. And I find it so fascinating to look at my family story within the greater context of Canadian history. When lumber and coal left, so did many of the people who lived in Britt/Byng Inlet. It’s a much quieter place than when my great-Aunt Bernice was growing up.