Two plays inspired by our family cottage.
Please contact me if you are interested in using a play for a reading or a stage production.
Once Upon a Rocking Chair
The De La Roche women have an annual summer Georgian Bay tradition. Three retired sisters and their three grown daughters spend a week at the cottage drinking wine, reminiscing, and making plans for the future. But this summer is different. Deep-rooted secrets are revealed as the annual festivities become ones that nobody will ever forget. It is a play about family, relationships, work, aging, life, and the validity of ‘happily-ever-after.’
This is a play in two acts that features six female actors. It runs for about two hours including a 15 minute intermission.
After exploring women’s issues in Once Upon a Rocking Chair I wanted to look at what it means to be manly. In this poignant, amusing play we meet the men of the De La Roche Family. It includes six days of hunting, a scenic wilderness location, indoor plumbing, beer, worms, and one dead bear. The men must triumph over cowardice, failure, and death to bring home the greatest trophy of all. In reclaiming their inner wild man, who will be left behind?
This is a play in two acts that features one female and four male actors. It runs for about two hours including a 15 minute intermission.
For three years I worked with StoneCircle Theatre as Playwright-in-Residence. Each year I mentored a new playwright for 6-8 months on developing a new script. Our work culminated in a staged reading of the script in front of various audiences. With the Artistic Director, Ken Bond, I directed the staged reading and hosted the feedback session at the end of the play.
I was a member of the Playwright’s Guild of Canada.
Here are some of my recent writing credits:
- It Takes a Village: Supporting Student Well-Being Using a Collective Impact Model by Jessica Outram. OPC Register, Summer 2016. Vol 18, No 2.
- Book in a Jar: Cobourg Waterfront Festival 2015
- The Writing Spiral: Learning as Writer by Jessica Outram with contributions from over 30 writers (Fall 2014)
- Songs of Sunshine and Snowflakes: A Poetry Chapbook by Jessica Outram (January 2013)
- Local Lot VI: The Cobourg Poetry Workshop 2012 Anthology (December 2012). Three poems. Wiki Metaphor. eliot and envelopes. Without Flight.
- Hill Spirits: An anthology by writers of Northumberland County Edited by Gwynn Scheltema, Felicity Sidnell Reid, and Susan Statham.(October 2012) Two poems: Peace Builder. Living Fossil.
- Opening the Jar: Autoethnographic Reflections on Teaching and Developing Resiliency by Jessica Outram (2011). Master’s Thesis, University of Toronto.
- From the Cottage Porch: An Anthology Edited by Jessica Outram and Ewa Krynski (May 2011)
- Bare Elements: A Collective Approach to Narrative Nonfiction Edited by Summer Book Collective. Memoir: Family Picnic Magic.
- Once Upon a Rocking Chair: A Play in Two Acts by Jessica Outram (February 2008)
- The Word Weaver, publication of the Writer’s Community of Durham Region. Various articles over the years.