I had forgotten how thrilling it is to be a playwright. Here is an update of the journey so far:
- 2006: I begin writing my first play, Once Upon a Rocking Chair.
- 2007: A staged reading is shared with audiences over two nights at StoneCircle Theatre in Ajax. The actors and audience provide feedback.
- 2007: More rewriting.
- 2008: Produced by Ken Bond at StoneCircle Theatre and directed by me…(click here for the news article)
- 2014: VOS Theatre does a reading of the play at Victoria Hall as part of their play reading series led by Bea Quarrie…(click here for an interview with VOS Theatre)
- 2016: Northumberland Players adds it to their season for 2016/17
- 2016: I spend the summer rewriting the play to deepen characterization and strengthen themes. Then a couple more readings: one in Cobourg and one in Peterbourgh=more feedback=more rewriting.
- 2017: The script is done!
Now…we have a cast!
EMMA: Kelly Ambrose
SUE: Francine Bélanger
VERONICA: Kim Brouwer
REBECCA: Marley Soutter
CHELSEA: Rebecca Sumners
TINA: Madison Chard
The De La Roche women have an annual summer Georgian Bay tradition. Three retired sisters and their three grown daughters spend a week at the cottage drinking wine, reminiscing, and making plans for the future. But this summer is different. Deep-rooted secrets are revealed as the annual festivities become ones that nobody will ever forget. It is a play about family, relationships, work, aging, life, and the validity of ‘happily-ever-after.’